Monday, May 21, 2012

Stones and bones

This last four weeks has been a flurry of design and site preparations. My assistant, Micheal Haag, went with me to a stoneyard. In the back we found the boneyard ... the broken scraps and odd and ends, available for cheap as long as we were willing to dig through the muddy piles of rocks!

We gathered up a nice collection of granite pieces, clearly leftovers from kitchen countertops. Back to the studio for design!

Which font to use? Which creatures to represent? Which words, how to place them on each stone? 


A tracing of each stone allows me to test ideas and designs. Two copies of this map are needed: one to go to the fabricators who will engrave the stones,  and one set for me to use on the site while I design and prepare the placements of each piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment