Saturday, April 14, 2012

We all share the same water.

We all share the same water.

A story floats lightly behind my fondness for this phrase. Recently I traveled to New Zealand with a few members of my close family; we went to reunite with family who live "Down Under".

 While there, I met a Maori artist, a gentle and lovely person. (Maori are the indigenous culture living in New Zealand). He wanted to know about the land where I came from; I described the rural coastal area outside of Seattle, on the Pacific Ocean.


The saltwater beach near my home on the Olympic Peninsula, Washington.
Part of an ongoing series of rituals and works about water.
photo: Jessica Plumb Productions
"Ahhhh," he said warmly, "We share the same Ocean!".

He said this with such evident warmth and pleasure, startling to my American ears, that I felt as though I had been invited into his family.




No comments:

Post a Comment